1. What is your Craft?
I make ceramic hand-built non-scale miniatures. Everything from goldfishbowls to ninjas to television sets. My signature item is a house with a little red door. I specialize in cute.
2. What led you to take it up?
I've been a potter for some years, so creating with clay was not new to me. One day I decided I had too many mugs & bowls in my house and started making little things that wouldn't take up much room and might be cute to look at.
3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
The forming, absolutely. While my little houses are all very similar, they are truly unique to each other as each one is individually made. No molds, just my hands.
4. Which part do you find hardest?
Glazing can be challenging. Most of my items are very small and requires a fine hand to work with. It's taken me a few tries to figure out how many layers to apply to achieve great colour. I try not to repeat my colour patterns & combos too much in one batch.
5. Where do you get your inspiration?
Just about everywhere I look! I have collected little houses for years and that's mainly why I make them. From nature -
I have recurring bird, mushroom and tree themes in many of my items. I keep an eye out for what's 'hot' in colour and trends and if I can make something within those parameters I will. I also ask my teenagers what they'd like to have and often the results are so much fun. They suggested the ninjas and TV sets.
6. Do you participate in any etsy groups, and if so, which ones?
I'm not a member of any Etsy teams - yet :)
7. What's one material your shop can't live without?
I think my silly imagination is my most important supply. Without it my shop would be so dull! I will always make things - out of clay, out of paper, out of felt, and so many other mediums. I try to make something every day. Everyone should :)
8. What is your favorite item that you have purchased off of Etsy?
Did I mention I'm a huge Trek geek. Get yours at Banished on Etsy.
9. If I could sell one item from my shop today, it would be...
these mini skyscrapers, Spiderman approved:
10. If I had enough money to pick one item on my wish list from any shop on etsy to buy, it would be...
oh boy. there are so many fantastic shops, all of which I'd like to buy out in their entirety, but if I had to pick just one, I really want this:
Onegarnetgirl is a lovely Etsyan and her work is just incredible.
11. What are the top three favorite items currently listed in your store?
My fave 3 items? Or what everyone else seems to like? Me, I like my little sauce dishes:
and this pretty little house:
and the stealth ninjas of awesome:
My little red door heart houses seem to be popular, I can't keep them in stock!
12. What undiscovered artisans would you recommend the world to know?
mchen cool Tshirts:
stuffbysteph77 greeting cards:
finchwork art prints:
13. What is the best advice you have ever received?
That I can only control my own actions and not others, and that I don't have to react to other's actions.
Meaning don't sweat what others are up to, and just keep doing my thing. :)