1. What is your craft?
I design and create hand painted clothing for babies, toddlers, kids and I've recently started an adult line for women. I also create hair bow accessories for girls.
2. What led you to take it up?
When I was shopping for clothes for my daughter, I would find pants I liked, but no tops to match or vice versa. I thought, hey, I could paint something to match that, and so a hobby was born. Then I started creating my own designs for my kids and for friends' kids and it eventually led to opening Winklepots.
3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
Sketching new designs. I find something that inspires me and I whip out my sketch pad and start jotting things down. I do enjoy painting as well. As soon as that first stroke hits the fabric, I'm in a zone and I find it very therapeutic.
4. Which part do you find hardest?
Finding the time to do it. I need about a 2-3 hr window of uninterrupted time and with two kids underfoot, it can be difficult. It's definitely me time though, so finding it is important.
5. Where do you get your inspiration?
Everywhere. I'm working on a bird design right now. I was looking through the Sunday Ads and saw a cute baby blanket with a block design. One of the blocks had a bird in it, and I thought, "Hey, that's cute. I'm going to make a bird design."
6. Do you participate in any etsy groups, and if so, which ones?
I belong to Etsykids Team and FAM (Fabulous Artist Moms) Team.
I'm a regional leader for Etsykids and it's such a great group. CleverKitty is the team leader and she's just fabulous. And my fammies are definitely my family. Great group of women who I've grown very close to. Even met my "twin," ElegantSnobbery. :o)
7. What's one material your shop can't live without?
I'm going to have to go with paint. Otherwise, I'd be a supply shop for onesies and t-shirts.
8. What is your favorite item that you have purchased off of Etsy?
I love this green freshwater pearl ring I bought from Lucie39.
And the refrigerator magnets from ljdesignphoto. I don't buy a lot for me, usually for other people, but Etsy is awesome!
9. If I could sell one item from my shop today, it would be...
The Apple Dumpling outfit.
I think it's just too cute.
10. If I had enough money to pick one item on my wish list from any shop on etsy to buy, it would be...
This jacket from madameantoine
Of course, I'd want the fabulous figure to go with it. :oP
11. What are the top three favorite items currently listed in your store?
I love the tattoo tee
the Zen Buddha tank top
and the Crane Gang
12. What undiscovered artisans would you recommend the world to know?
I've found several undiscovered photographers and I LOVE the works of
to name a few.
13. What is the best advice you have ever received?
You have to work very hard to hardly ever work. So many people think that overnight success awaits when starting a new business. That if you make it, they will come. Or that get-rich-quick is totally feasible. Well, no one will come if you don't let them know you're there.
Marketing is so key and the only way to really reach the masses. You have to work really hard to bring people in and make them want to come back. Pretty soon word of mouth will play a big part and you may not need to do so much on you're own. But if you don't put yourself out there in a big way, you won't see the success you're hoping for.